We’re already May 2nd and…it’s MayNoWriMo! For those of you wondering what MayNoWriMo is, it’s basically like NaNoWriMo except it’s in May. Every year, a large number of insane people sign up to participate in NaNoWriMo and write a 50k words novel in an entire month. Mind you, it’s just a first draft, but still, that’s one huge accomplishment! Then you also have some crazy people who think NaNoWriMo just isn’t crazy enough and who want to write 50k words every single month. Meet yours truly. I might not succeed (and I definitely won’t succeed in June, with finals coming up) but at least I’m trying. And every word written down is an accomplishment on its own.
I’m going to be a bit of a rebel this month though…
- I want to start the rewrite of Beyond The Mirror, the sequel to my debut novel Mirror, Mirror. I want to finish this by June, so I can send it off to my publisher. Since this is a rewrite, it should go easier than a first draft. Current status: 0k/55k words.
- I also want to finish writing the first draft of Ghostslayer, one of my WIPs featuring a girl who…surprise, surprise…slays ghosts. Current status: 27k/70-80k words. I estimate the story will come to an end somewhere between 70 and 80k, but that might just be wishful thinking.
- For Mirror, Mirror, I need to read through the entire story and start working on edits so I can send it to my editor.
- Last but not least, I would also like to edit The Sleeping Kingdom, based on critiques by my critique partners. But I hate editing, so I might not get to this. Plus, the plate already looks pretty full.
- I also want to write an outline for Beyond The Mirror and Ghostslayer, so I can keep better track of where the stories are going.
Well, that’s it. That’s a current estimate of reading through 50k words (Mirror, Mirror), rewriting 55k words (Beyond The Mirror), writing 40-50k words (Ghostslayer) and editing 75k words (the Sleeping Kingdom). Chances I will ever complete all of this while working like crazy on my study projects for finals? Nihil. But hey, at least I’ll have tried. Plus, I like to lay the bar high, that way I tend to achieve more.
So my official MayNoWriMo project is Ghostslayer. I’m a rebel because I don’t start from scratch in May, but whatever. I’m so cool I get to be rebellious.
What are your goals for May? Are you participating in MayNoWriMo?