I know I haven’t been that consistent in my MayNoWriMo posts, mostly because I don’t think it would be entertaining enough for you all if I went on and on about my word count on a daily basis. I might do so during the official NaNoWriMo this year, but I’m not going to bother you with it every single day of the year.
So, we’re two weeks into May and my word count is laughable to say the least. Between being bombared with my work as a publicist and studying for my finals in June, my writing time is more than a little limited.
Roughly two weeks ago, I wrote a post stating my MayNoWriMo goals. At the time, these goals were (and this is a short recap, if you want the longer version, you’ll have to check that post):
- Rewrite Beyond The Mirror (working title). Status at beginning of the month: 0k/55k words.
- Finish first draft for Ghostslayer. Status at beginning of the month: 27k/80k words (I estimate the novel will wrap up somewhere between 70-80k words).
- Work on the edits for Mirror, Mirror.
- Write an outline for Beyond The Mirror and Ghostslayer.
- A couple of days later, I also decided I wanted to write an outline for Soul Thief and Demonic Pact, the first two books in my Angel of Death Series.
What I have done so far, is the following.
- I wrote an outline for Ghostslayer, which was a tremendous help. I know finally figured out where the story is headed, and I can tick off chapter per chapter. I’m currently working on chapter six.
- For Mirror, Mirror, I completely edited the manuscript one more time before sending it to the editor. She got back to me with edits soon after, and I got through the first round of edits. Now I sent the manuscript back to her, and she’s working on another round of edits. This is, so far, actually the only thing writing-related where I’m on track. Click here to read all about my editing woes.
- I also managed to write an outline for Demonic Pact, the sequel to Soul Thief. Since I already knew all the things I wanted to happen, this was fairly easy.
- For Ghostslayer, I’m now at 35k words, give or take a few. The story is really taking off, but the last scene I wrote was absolutely horrible. An abundance of words like ‘fear’, ‘stumbling’ and ‘ghosts’. Need more synonyms and crafty sentences!
And what does this mean?
I need to set more realistic goals, especially with my upcoming finals in mind.
- Instead of finishing Ghostslayer, I’m going to aim for 50k. Writing is my favorite spare time activity, so I think I might be able to pull that off till the end of the month.
- I’m postponing the rewrite for Beyond The Mirror till after my finals. I should’ve plenty of time then, and at least I can then focus on it properly.
- The edits for The Sleeping Kingdom are postponed until after my finals as well.
I hate it when I have to readjust my goals, but c’est la vie, I suppose.